Monday 30 December 2019

BIRDING IN 2019 - Jan England



My year started in South Australia as I had been travelling around Australia since the end of May 2018.  I spent Christmas Day at Eyre Bird Observatory and on Boxing Day moved on to South Australia where I wanted to find the Naretha Blue Bonnet.  There were 7 Barred Cuckoo-shrikes at the turnoff to the Observatory which was exciting.  I went into Koonalda Homestead owned by South Australia National Parks where it was 45 degrees so not very pleasant but couldn’t find the Blue Bonnet. 

Word was out that a Citrine Wagtail had turned up at Whyalla Wetlands so after one night at Smokey Bay CP I headed to Whyalla.  It was 48 degrees when I stepped out of the car at 1:30pm but it was too windy to even hold up the scope or my binoculars so I decided to come back next morning.  I spent the night at Fitzgerald Bay where it blew so hard I had to put the roof down in my van in the middle of the night. It didn’t get below 30 degrees all night.  Back next morning to get better views of the Wagtail and I even managed a recognizable  photo.
Citrine Wagtail

After visiting my sister in Millicent I headed for Werribee where James Mustafa met Polly Cutcliffe and I and he showed us the Tufted Duck just as it flew off not to be seen again for 11 days. This was my second new bird in a few days.  Then on to my daughter’s place north of Melbourne before going over to Tasmania in the ferry. I met up with my son who had moved to Tassie nine months previously and then I travelled around the State finding most of the endemics all of which I had seen previously.  Fires were prevalent in the area so travelling was restricted. I also went on a pelagic out of Eaglehawk Neck but didn’t get any new birds as it was a quiet day.
Tufted Duck

After being away from home for 10 months I decided it was time to head home so I came up along the coast and I was home in 5 weeks at the end of March. But I had missed the Blue Bonnet so I booked a trip with Peter Waanders at the end of April. This started in Port Lincoln where we found the new White-bellied Whipbird (split from the Eastern Whipbird) and then headed west to Koonalda where we found the Naretha Blue Bonnets (only 3) and ended in Adelaide where we found the Barbary Dove which I had never seen.

The rest of the year was fairly quiet until I went with Michele Grant to Carnarvon Gorge for a week in early September. It was lovely to see some green vegetation as the rest of the country in the area was very dry.  Michele and I have been doing the Sippy Downs wetland surveys in most months this year. 

Then off to Cape York with Ken Cross and Steve Grainger.  I had done the Cape many times over the years but it was nice to see some of these special birds again.  The weather was good and the company was excellent.

In October I went to King Island as I wanted to see some of the subspecies found on this island.  It is a very scenic island and very interesting with a World No 1 Golf Course at Cape Wickham and a very productive kelp industry. Their dairy industry has declined because of the cost of transferring cattle and produce across the strait but the cheese factory is still operating.  It was amazing to see how many Wild Turkeys roam the island as well as Common Pheasant.

I have just finished the year with a week in Victoria and a trip to Werribee Sewerage Farm (the No1 birding site in Australia for me) where we saw 2 Long-toed Stints as well as a myriad of other waders and waterfowl but no other specialities this time.  This week I went to Lake Samsonvale flushing a pair of Stubble Quail and then to Cove Rd.   Who knows what 2020 will bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment