Monday 30 December 2019

2019 - My Birding Year - Zoe Farris

Regent Honeyeater


2019 was my second year Birding, and just as exciting as my first year, 2018. I saw many birds for the first time, and many I get to know the year before, but there were two events stand out in my mind for 2019. The first was the notification that a pair of Regent Honeyeaters were spotted at Springfield Lakes outside Brisbane. I set the satnav without knowing exactly where I was headed and off I went on my first long distance trip to see a particular bird.
Regent Honeyeater

After a few hours driving I arrived and started looking in the few places the birds and been reported. I met a few other Birders and we chatted as we searched. For over two hours we had no luck and my time to return to the Sunshine Coast was drawing near. Disappointed, I headed toward the car, thinking that the trip was still worth it for the experience and meeting other likeminded people, when a call went up. "They are over here!"

The two Regent Honeyeaters were in a small tree by the lake and quickly made their way to the larger tree near the café. With about twenty Birders standing around the tree the birds were comfortably preening and flitting about. I am sure they were enjoying all the fuss.
From what I heard from other, more experienced Birders, this pair were the only ones known to be so far south. And my research showed that they had once been seen up the along the Sunshine Coast and beyond. I spent a few hours watching these lovely birds and counted myself among the lucky group who go to see them.

The second event was an extended one, two months in all. A few blocks from where I live, at Golden Beach, a pair of Tawny Frogmouths had a clutch of three chicks. The nest was very low, touching distance, and right above the main walkway. The pair and their kids had a regular parade of people, kids and dogs passing beneath them, with many walkers stopping for a look. Luckily everyone showed respect for the parents and looked without intrusion. As the babies grew and began to explore their nest, they gathered even bigger crowds of locals and were as interested in the people as the people were interested in them.
Tawny

Tawny Frogmouth fam

junior

Over the next few months the babies grew and started leaving their nest to explore the nearby branches of their tree. On his first day out of the nest the third little one found himself on the Boardwalk hand railing, with dad in a tree nearby, watching. While passers-by kept a safe distance, I had to make the decision to move the little one to a safer spot as a fun run was about to pass through, and I was worried that people and their dogs might accidently scare the tiny Frogmouth. With care I lifted the baby from underneath, with as little contact as possible and moved him to the branch under dad. Unfortunately, a pair of Butcherbirds attacked and he flew off into the mangroves. I retrieved him again and sat him on a long branch and lifted him right up to dad.

From this adventure the family of five Tawny Frogmouths thrived. They spent daytimes resting in the trees near the Boardwalk entrance, learning to sit still, which the chicks were not too good at in the beginning, learning to fly, jumping from branch to branch at first, waiting for mum and dad to bring dinner home.
here's looking at you, kid

Over the two months the young ones grew and started flying off after their parents, and eventually only a few at a time were seen in their 'training trees' as I called them. While they may have stopped in a few times I suspect they went further afield. I was so happy they had a successful hatch and all grew to fledge, and at the same time a sadness at their leaving.
The other thing I have enjoyed has been the amazing people I have met. I didn't attend as many outings as I would have liked but the Mary Cairns Cross day was a special occasion, as I caught up with people I have met previously, but also some newbies, as I has been the year before. I love it when others are around to share and point out birds for each other.

Great experiences, beautiful birds and amazing people are why I took up Birding and I look forward to more and varied adventures in 2020. - Zoe Farris

No comments:

Post a Comment