Monday 5 April 2021

Sunshine Coast Conservation Futures #1

Recently I wrote a seminar to present at our mini congress. For a number of reasons that presentation was badly abridged so I thought I would try to write on our blog about some of the things I had in mind. 

My purpose was to try to get my audience to consider that, despite the fact that there are many ways in which biodiversity is disappearing, there are many ways in which people can get creative with ways to help protect biodiversity. 

I also wanted them to understand some of the ways in which environmental protection is difficult. I guess I wanted them to know that there are many options worth thinking about in the hope that members would think that there might be some ideas that they could engage in.... 

Today we want to engage in a little crystal ball gazing; to imagine what the future for nature on the Sunshine Coast might look like. The reasons why we would do this should be obvious.  Globally the natural world is diminishing. Species are being lost at an alarming rate. Vast areas of natural habitats are being destroyed. Common species are becoming uncommon. We are losing our biodiversity – our planet’s life. Here on the Sunshine Coast we are not immune.

In our crystal ball we should guard against a future image of Sunshine Coast nature to be based purely on global historic trends for if we do we might fail to be optimistic. We need to imagine something positive and then work out ways to spread this vision and list practical ways for it to be achieved.

One of the basic ideas that I want to share is that conservationists / environmentalists / birders understand better than most the value of biodiversity. We have ecological knowledge that sadly most people, including our leaders lack. Therefore we are uniquely positioned to imagine a future with nature and to lead any conversation about the future of biodiversity. To be a birder without having an interest in conservation should be strange indeed.

All people, including those who fail to appreciate the value of nature, need it. And we cannot allow those without ecological knowledge to sabotage our combined future.

A second basic idea regarding conservation and an environment future is that we birders and conservationists must be more proactive. At the moment the majority of conservation minded, green voices if you like, sound like ‘NO’ or ‘STOP’. We are always reacting to projects, to stop them. There is nothing wrong with this of course and it will always be the job description of an environmentalist to attempt to prevent unsustainable developments, especially those who clearly and markedly ignore existing environmental laws. What I am suggesting though is that there are proactive conversations to have about people doing things, learning things, creating things, respecting things that can lead to an environmental understanding and ethic which is felt more widely through our community.

So what do I [and hopefully] we want?

My general vision can be described pretty simply;

I want more nature than there is now.

I want nature to be joined.

I want more nature awareness.

I want nature restored.

I want to live in nature not separated from it.

Below, in a series of blog posts I will suggest a variety of tactics, projects, ideas [often poorly thought through] for people to read through and consider if one or more or many appeal to the extent that they could involve themselves. Some are easy – we are doing them already. Some are perhaps exceedingly optimistic. But please consider…

Ken Cross

All of the above is merely personal opinion and dreaming and NOT the perspective or policy of Birdlife Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment